Christmas Chalkboard

I am really getting into decorating our kitchen chalkboard lately, thanks to all the cute chalkboards on Pinterest. We made it ourselves a while back by putting some trim up on the wall and painting the enclosed area with chalkboard paint. It’s worked pretty well for us, though it really needs another coat of chalkboard soon! Knox likes to draw on it, though he has taken to drawing on the surrounding walls and household items with chalk, as well, so we are taking a little chalkboard break with him!

I saw this on Pinterest and knew I had to recreate it:

So I did! Here’s ours:

I love it, I think it’s so festive. One of the best tips I’ve read and tried is to dip the tip of your chalk in water before drawing with it- it creates a darker more concentrated line and looks much better. Also, if you can’t decide how to do your lettering, when in doubt, copy someone else! There is so much fun inspiration on Pinterest and around the blogosphere like these:

(I read her blog, too, and I love it!)

Are you guys into chalkboards right now like the rest of the world? Do you decorate yours or use it for practical things (like grocery lists)?

Related Posts with Thumbnails

This work, unless otherwise expressly stated, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License.

10 comments

1. Sarah says:

That is super cute! Love it!

But…how on Earth did you make it so perfect?! Just lots of practice? When I write on a chalk board, it looks like a child did it :)

• Jessica says:

Thanks! I just kept looking back at my inspiration picture and copied it. I drew a super light outline first, then went back and filled in. Practice, you can do it!

2. Kami says:

Oh my gosh, I love that! Did you actually handwrite those letters, or use some sort of stencil?? I don’t think I could do it that well free handed!!

• Jessica says:

Thanks! Yes, I just free-handed it. I can copy things well, but it’s hard for me to just make something up on my own… I like to have something to look at while I draw!!

3. Tara says:

No joke I was just on Pinterest researching them,which reminded me of crafty people,which reminded ,e I hadn’t checked your blog In a few days. Lol. Odd coinciding e but yes I’m into them! I want one in an old window!

4. Caroline says:

Love it!! Question on your chalkboard though, when you say you painted the wall behind the trim in chalkboard paint, dd you have to smooth the texture down or are your walls already smooth?? Ours have texture so I thought it might be to much work and had planned to just buy a chalkboard to put up. Love the idea of using the trim though b/c you can pick a a trim you like or paint it a color you want.