Ink

If you follow me on Pinterest, you may have noticed a trend over the past week. I am getting a smidgeon obsessed with tattoos. I have always thought about getting one, but I never could work up the nerve (or decide on something I’d be happy with for the rest of my life!). I’ve been thinking a lot about it lately, and I am 99.9% sure that I am getting one when I am finished nursing Brody. The super small risk of infection makes me feel better about waiting until then, so I’m planning on February 2013. And I won’t be alone! My “little” sister (who is now a grown-up… so weird) will be getting one with me! It’s our sisterly bonding experience, and I’ll feel more brave if she’s with me!

I am going to get a Bible verse- either on my foot or my wrist… leaning heavily towards my foot. Romans 12:2 is my favorite verse, and I have not decided whether I just want the verse name or an excerpt done, but this is the whole thing:

“Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is —his good, pleasing and perfect will.”

I read this to myself frequently, and it reminds us that following Jesus is not always easy, but it’s important to go against the grain of what is “normal” in the world and always do what is pleasing to the Lord. It’s so hard to do that, but our reward will be great if we can!

I think I also want the silhouette of two little birds around it to represent my baby boys. Something similar to this:

Source: via Jessica on Pinterest

I’ve thought a lot about doing this because, hello, it’s pretty permanent. However, I feel pretty darn secure getting a Bible verse because that is the one thing that will remain constant in my life from here to the very end. I wanted to make sure it was in a location that could be easily covered, if need be, and be fairly small. I’m not wanting a full sleeve or anything… although can’t you totally see me rocking some crazy zombie skulls on my arm?? Yeah, me neither!

This is what Kayla (my sister) is thinking of (I think on her wrist):

She drew it. I was all “OH MY GOSH, YOU’RE SO TALENTED!!” but then again, she also drew this:

I don’t know why I was all surprised that she could sketch out a bird!

Do any of you guys have tattoos? Do you love them or completely regret them?

Related Posts with Thumbnails

20 thoughts on “Ink

1. Lindsey

Go for it! Trust me, I WILL one day have my wrist tatoo of the cross I drew. Until then – I will just have to live vicariously through your tatoo, lol. And your sister has some mad skills!

2. Stephanie @ Our Marriage Adventure

I have a tattoo myself and its incredibly meaningful as it symbols my brother’s life and death. I want to get one more but I haven’t figured out what / where so I’m waiting for now. :-p I think you are SERIOUSLY brave for doing the foot. That and the spine are the two most painful spots on the body due to nerve endings.

1. Jessica Post author

Stephanie, I love tattoos that have symbolism and meaning behind them.

I’m thinking I’m seriously stupid rather than brave!! I’ll probably cry!

3. Megan

I got the Chinese symbol for “political” on my shoulder in college, because I couldn’t ever imagine myself NOT being involved in politics. I regret that one because now I’m really not! A year later I also got some flowers that were very symbolic and meaningful to me on my back and I still love them. I put them in places that aren’t visible to others because they’re not something I got for other people – I got them for me. And, plus, I work in a very conservative field, so visible ink wouldn’t fly.

Two things – first, foot tattoos are supposed to be one of the most painful places to get them, but something like what you linked shouldn’t take that long. I didn’t find my back tattoos to be very painful at all. Second, tattoos are addictive! ;) You may find yourself wanting to plan some more when it’s over! :D

Good luck! I love tattoos and I like the style of the one you linked (and your sister’s! She’s very talented).

4. Stephanie

I think it’s really cute.. I want a tattoo really bad as well but I’m so scared of needles so I can never work up the courage to go get it done lol..

5. Bethany

I knew someone that got a foot tatoo (the Christina fish) in yellow on her ankle. You can’t even tell it is there unless she points it out. I thought that was very cool because you can’t see it when she wears shorts/skirts/sandles/etc but it is there when you try to find it.

6. allison

I don’t regret it per se, but I wouldn’t do it again. I am glad i got it on a place on my back that you cannot see it unless I choose for you to.

7. amy

I have one and I dont like it at all anymore but it wouldn’t stop me from getting another one if the placing and design was right. I was 18 and didn’t know what I wanted so I just picked a FROG out of this tattoo artist’s book. Ugh. Stupid.

8. Lori

My sister and I got one after I finished nursing my second son. We both got a heart with the autism symbol in it. Her eldest was diagnosed with autism last year and it represents all they have been through! Never will regret it.

9. MrsBub

I have seven tattoos. They ARE addictive! Some of them I like better than others, but I don’t regret a single one.

Two pieces of advice?

I have both a wrist and a foot tattoo. If you think you might want to keep your tattoo under wraps at any point, the wrist placement is much easier to hide. Long sleeves, watches, bracelets, even a scrunchy…easy peasy! The foot, depending on the specific placement, is harder. You just can’t always wear boots or tennis shoes!

Secondly, get some sugar in you before/during your actual session. It is too easy, at least for me, to get light headed while being tattooed. Drink a coke and you will be good to go.

Good luck!

10. Jen

I have one myself! It’s the palmetto tree and crescent in garnet and black with a vine of yellow jasmine. I know that I probably won’t move back to my home state of SC, but my tattoo is my reminder that I’ll never be too far away to come home.

11. Little Wife

Okay, so I was 16 when I got my tattoo… on my lower back, on the right side. It’s a Japanese symbol that means “Light,” as a reminder to be light to the world. For a 16 year old, I was pretty deep. Then, when I was 18, I added to it… the word “moon.” So now my back says “Moonlight.” My light is not my own, it’s a reflection of the light of the Lord, like the moon is a reflection of the light of the sun.

Not terrible. But I do regret getting them, more because of how I was when I got them. The frontal lobe of my brain was totally not completely developed. I was such and overly dramatic kid. I thought I was SO COOL. And now I think they’re kind of silly. And I forget they’re there most of the time.

I think that your idea is really great, though. And your frontal lobe is fully developed, so I think you’ll be happy with it.

12. Crystal Colbert

I LOVE tattoos! Got my 1st one when I was 18 and now I have 8! They all have a special meaning to me. I have many verses on my body! And love that I will always have that permanent reminder of that time in my life and how special that verse was to me! I’m now ready for a tattoo that is just girly, colorful, and pretty! Love your ideas!!

13. Dawn

I have 9 tattoos and yes, they are addicting. Both of my feet are covered (5 butterflies on one, and a Hebrew saying with a orchid on top) and i have one below my neck and my wrist. I do not regret any, since our body is just canvas and should be covered beautifully. All my tattoos have meaning so you just have to find that perfect meaning (which it seems as though you have). My opinion however, would be to just get the scripture number since the saying itself is so long. Also, my writing on my wrist is in a dark purple so it still has some ‘prettiness’ too it, rather than being so harsh in black. Also, if the tattoo is to much on the side of your foot, it will fade as it rubs against shoes daily. I am not going to lie, it is painful, but in the end it is soooo worth it! Good luck!!

14. Terri

I’m a little older than most of your ‘followers’… but I enjoy your blog a lot. I am now 51, but when I turned 50 I decided it was finally time to get my tattoo! On my right foot, near my toes & following the natural curve there I have the words “Love you forever” with two little silhouette footprints. They were originally for my first grandbaby, but have since received the precious gift of another grandbaby! So the pair of feet really represent my love for my own 2 ‘babies’ (now 25 and 28) as well as my grands. I read the book “I’ll Love You Forever” over and over to my babes as they grew, so that one simple line means so much to me. Have a blessed day, from a reader in Michigan.

15. Terri

Oh! P.S. People say the feet are the worst pain-wise, and I don’t have a very high pain tolerance!!! But honestly….. It didn’t hurt at all (well, maybe a tiny bit when he filled in the feet) but it only took about 10 minutes, tops! I did eat a candy bar ahead of time, as suggested by the tattoo artist, as you need sugar in your system. You won’t cry! It will be awesome, especially with your sister with you! I wanted to get “sister tattoos” but my sis said no. :( Mine would have said “Big sister” and hers, “Little sister”. Oh well!

16. Tara

I have a magnolia (Mississippi state flower where I’m from and where my Dad is buried) with a hummingbird fluttering over it, with the words Diddy’s girl under it in memory of my Father (when I was little with a Southern accent I called him Diddy and it always stuck). I don’t regret it at all, though I do wish it was slightly smaller.

I’d love to get Jacob’s birth footprints somewhere but I don’t know where.

17. Lindsay

I have the lovely “tramp stamp” on my lower back and I hate it! I would love to get another tattoo that is more meaningful, and probably not so big! They are definitely addicting. I know a girl who has a bird on the back of her neck, but it’s white ink and it’s super cool!

18. shannon

I’m catching up on your blog so I’m way behind. I have a tattoo on my big toe and got it when I turned 18, basically because I could. I don’t regret it, but I do regret what it is…a sun! Why in the world I chose a sun is beyond me. It looked cool in the book of choices, I guess. It did hurt and I have a pretty decent pain tolerance. Of course, it was just for a few days so really it’s not that big of a deal. Finding shoes that didn’t bother it that first week was probably the most difficult part. Also, apparently the big toe doesn’t take color very well, so it’s not the prettiest thing in the world. I actually had it redone (yes, the same tattoo in the same place…don’t know what I was thinking!) in hopes that it would be brighter, but the brightness only lasted a few weeks and it’s back to it’s old dull self. Overall, I think foot tattoos are awesome! :)

And, since I’m catching up, I wanted to let you know that I’ll be praying for you and your sweet Knox. I know it’s terribly hard to hear that there’s something wrong with your baby, but you’re the perfect mom for him and I know you’ll give him exactly what he needs to be just who God made him to be!