Good thing he’s cute.

Because I am looking at this adorable little face and those squishy arm rolls well into the wee morning hours!

This child must really love me because it appears that he wants to be with me so much that he can’t bear to go to sleep. Well. Brody, my dear, as much as I love you, I AM SO TIRED!! As far as I am concerned, sleep is so NOT overrated. Brody’s favorite place to be is rightupnexttomebreathingmyair-we are talking boob-in-mouth, bodies aligned and squished together, hands on my arms close constantly. Try as I might, I can’t sleep that way. No dice, my child. Thus, my desire for him to sleep in his own bed.┬áIt’s so much nicer for both of us if he stays in his co-sleeper or his room because If he doesn’t smell me, he doesn’t feel the need to snack all night long and keep us both awake. However, it is apparent that his room seems like some pit of doom to him because he is TICKED OFF if he wakes up in there alone. Last night, I decided that I had enough and it was time for him to make the move into his own room for the entire night.

For the past week or so, I put him down in his crib and let him sleep there as long as possible (it’s generally three to four hours until he wakes up) then I bring him in our room because I’m too tired to do anything else thanks to the hours he chooses for us to keep. Last night, he woke up earlier than usual after only two hours. It was about 11:30. I had just climbed in bed because after he went to sleep at 9:30 I had to shower, straighten up, and all of those other things you need two arms to do. So, I went in, fed him, and layed him back down. His little bald head promptly stuck straight back up, as if he had never fallen asleep to begin with. This drives me absolutely crazy, and he does it 90% of the time when I lay him down. He’s like one of those baby dolls with the closing eyes, except a defunct version who’s eyes open when you lay them down!

I am not a fan of crying it out. We did “The No Cry Sleep Solution” with Knox, and it worked wonderfully. Not so much with Brody. He really, really likes to be awake. I’m pretty sure he’s part owl. Or vampire. I’d probably go with the latter given his affinity to suck the energy out of me. I would get him to sleep, lay him down, he’d wake up, and… repeat this cycle about 800 times. Finally, that was enough. I closed the door and let him cry for five minutes. Then I walked back in, pat him, shushed him, and left. He’d start right back up. By about 1 a.m. I was past exhausted and he was past hysterical, so back into the bed with me he went.

Aren’t you glad I stick to my guns?

Luckily, Trevor was working last night, so he didn’t endure this very noisy situation, and actually, Brody co-sleeps better when it’s just the two of us in bed because I can spread out a little more. Normally when Trevor is there, I put Brody between me and his co-sleeper on the side of the bed and he always gravitates towards me. I cannot sleep soundly with him in the bed with us- I’m sure a lot of you co-sleeping moms know how it is when your baby sleeps with you. Your senses are heightened and the slightest movements by the baby will wake you up.

The point of this rant is to say that I am very tired (thank you, coffee), and I am so ready for this child to sleep through the night. The end.

This is only a phase? This too shall pass? Right? Right??!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

26 thoughts on “Good thing he’s cute.

1. Cindy

have you tried swaddling him? My daughter did the same thing (woke up whenever you tried to transfer her) and I started swaddling her – with her arms in the blanket and everything – and we did that for months because I was afraid of trying to get her to sleep without it! It worked for us.

1. Jessica Post author

Cindy (and Tiffany):

Yes, I have desperately tried. He despises being swaddled, which is a very new thing because Knox loved it and would only sleep if I swaddled him nice and tightly. Brody hates to be constricted (totally gets this from me!) so he hates swaddling and being worn. Picture me crying when I tried swaddling him after only about two weeks of him allowing it… Yep. It was a sad day!

1. Jaclyn

We loved the swaddle until my kid learned to roll in it. (picture a turlte!) Lol. It was a sad day when I couldn’t use it anymore!

2. Elizabeth

Oh Jess I am so sorry you guys aren’t sleeping well. That sounds awful for all involved. I know when I am up in the middle of the night I think how one day very soon my boy will be too big to nurse and be mr. independent. That picture is beyond words adorable. I L-O-V-E the arm rolls! That picture needs a frame!

3. Tiffany

I know you’re not asking for advice, but I have to ask. Have you tried swaddling? My 3-month-old just outgrew her Miracle Blanket so I switched to a sleep sack last week and she started waking up several times a night. I tried double swaddling last night (watched a YouTube video on exactly what to do) and she slept 9 hours straight!! Maybe it will help Brody. Good luck!

1. Jessica Post author

I may have to try this double swaddling situation. He’s never been a fan, but who knows, maybe he’d allow it!

4. Amy

I found your blog a few months ago and LOVE reading it! I have had some of the same problems with my first baby that you have had with Brody. He sounds a lot like her with the sleeping issues. She was a terrible sleeper until about 8 months or so and even then I had to REALLY work with her to teach her how to sleep in her room. I hate letting her cry also but I got to the point where I was just so tired and getting frustrated that I was willing to try something new. What ended up working with her was getting a good bedtime routine going. We did bath, bottle, and then bed. I would rock her while she drank the bottle and then when she was asleep I would put her in her crib. When she woke up about an hour later I would go in and give her the paci and pat her for a minute or so but I would not talk to her or pick her up. She was always still crying when I went back out. I would let her cry for about 2 minutes and then go back in and do the whole process over again. Some nights I had to do it 84,000 times but after about a week she started getting the hang of it was was able to self soothe enough to go back to sleep. As exhausting and emotionally draining as it is I really think the key is not picking them up or giving in and quitting halfway through the night. My daughter is a WONDERFUL sleeper now so there is hope for you!!!

5. Krystal

This was my daughter exactly. My husband actually slept on the couch for a good four or five months because she wouldn’t sleep anywhere else but in our bed right up next to me. At six months, she decided that nursing 24/7 was better than sleeping or letting me sleep. I wouldn’t even say nursing, as soon as my boob hit her mouth she dozed off, but if I tried to move myself away, she would scream something terrible! I let her cry it out, finally, simply because I had no other options in my sleepy state. It worked for her though (my son, notsomuch) and she started sleeping 7pm-7am like a champ. Then she got her first tooth and we started back at square one :) She was a little older than Brody when I let her cry herself to sleep and I also quit nursing her at night. Good luck! Hope you get a good nights sleep soon!

6. Jaclyn

Oh you sound like me… only mine is almost 9 months!! Before I had kids, I was one of those that said, My kid will NEVER sleep in my bed! Ha! That darn Karma! Like you, I let mine sleep in his crib his first stretch of sleep and then into our bed for the second part of the night due to exhaustion. That was working great until about 4 months or so and then all hell broke loose. I don’t know what happened, but he would NOT sleep in his crib and to top it off he was getting up every hour or two again. 3 hour stretches were like heaven. He did this for over 3 months and I am a light sleeper to begin with, let alone with a crazy restless monkey boy attempting to sleep next to me. Can you say EXHAUSTED! Thankfully 8 months rolled around and he has started to do a bit better and still gets up several times a night but we are back to 3 or 4 hour stretches… the other night even a 4.5 hour stretch IN HIS CRIB! Unheard of! I think those first teeth coming in may have been our culprit… but who really knows. I refuse to do CIO and believe someday he will prefer to sleep the night on his own… but for now he likes to be attached to my boob still for several hours at night! :) Oh the joys of parenthood, your right, that is why God made them so cute and squishy! :)

7. Angel

In case this is your situation…when he falls asleep in your arms, wait 15min in order for him to fall into a deep sleep and then put him in his crib. My baby boy would do that too until I did this. I know it seems like a long time to wait, especially when you just want to go to sleep in the middle of the night, but it is shorter in the long run then having him wake up and you have to put him back to sleep again. I wasn’t sure he he was falling asleep in your arms or how long you waited to put him down, but I thought I would suggest it in case it helps.

8. Heather

my son was just like this when he was a baby!! (He’s two now). anyhow, we ended up doing this crazy routine where I out a heating pad down in his crib while I was rocking/nursing him, and then once he fell asleep I moved it out of the way (tricky at times when you have a sleeping baby in your arms), and put him down. Something about going from warm arms to warm bed helped him to stay asleep through the transition- thank God! He eventually grew out of needing this whole elaborate routine, but it worked like a charm for us during that frustrating phase! Praying for y’all, and that Brody and you both get some good sleep!

1. Jessica Post author

Heather, I heard that trick when I was going through this with Knox! We ended up buying him chenille crib sheets so they stayed nice and warm, and it worked amazingly well for him. It helps a lot with Brody (we have chenille sheets all over the place!), but that squirt is a tough one! Hopefully it’ll keep getting better!

9. Stephanie

OK, so I’ve been reading your blog for forever, but this is the first subject I have felt that I can be any sort of help with. So, I have a 3 month old who has been happily sleeping through the night (8:30-8:00) since she was 4 weeks old and it was all thanks to moms on call. I have the book and it has been a wonder with helping my baby girl figure out how to sleep…its all based on the premise of establishing a strong bedtime routine (bath, dress, book, bottle bed) and swaddling. I know you said Brody doesn’t like the swaddle, but sometimes you have to help him figure out what he likes (and sometimes, babies don’t remember that they like to be swaddled, but they do). I did have to double swaddle my little one, first with the miracle blanket and then with an aden + anais blanket, because if she broke out of a swaddle (and she always did-we called her angelina because her leg would somehow always end up out of the swaddle) she would wake up, immediately.

But definitely look into moms on call, its guaranteed to work!!

1. Jessica Post author

Stephanie, another blog friend recommended this, and I bought their program. I really wanted to like it, but I am way more into attachment parenting and just could not get into it. :( I’m glad it’s worked so well for you, I know it’s been great for a lot of moms!! And I cracked up at your Angelina nickname, that’s hilarious!!

10. MommaBird

Does Brody have his startle reflex when you try to lay him down in his crib? Maybe that’s why he wakes up instantly the moment you set him down?

I co-slept for the first 3 months and once LO learned to kick and roll over, we had to stop because I was constantly in fear that he would roll off the bed. But I sat up whenever I had to nurse him {never mastered nursing while laying down} with a boppy.

We use a sound machine and play lullabies on the iPod at night to help soothe him back to sleep. When we transitioned from the co-sleeper to his own crib. I had many late night zombie walks back and forth between his room and mine.

It will pass, hang in there!

11. Bethany

Not much to offere here, just wanted to say you are not alone. I have two boys (similar in ages to your kiddos) and terrible sleepers up until age of one or so. I am praying that my youngest gets the hang of it soon!

12. Debbie

The sleep lady’s sleep good night sleep tight by Kim West.
    I had the same problem with daughter, It finally got to a point were I was so tired I couldn’t even function. Someone recommended this book and I final got some rest. I find her methods a middle ground between other methods.
    Good luck with what ever you choose to do. We will pray that you and your cute baby get some good sleep soon. :-)

13. Holly Potter

The ONLY thing that worked for us was the Fisher Price “Rock-n-Play Sleeper” ( http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Newborn-Rock-Sleeper-Yellow/dp/B002M77N22 ). We sat it right next to our bed and when he woke up from his crib we put him in that and he slept soo much better. It has mesh breathable sides and you can snap him in so no worries about falling out.And if he needed a little rock, I could lay on my side and use one hand to push it back and forth.LOL..maybe I was lazy,but I had a child that has ALWAYS had a sleep problem,so I do whatever I can.

14. Krista

Have you ever heard of the ergobaby cocoon? http://www.ergopouch.com.au/swaddle.html
    I swaddle my 4 month old then pop her into this – can’t wriggle out of it at all and it really keeps her snug.

My discovery this week is to put a soft cotton muslin cloth folded under her head while I’m holding her, so that when I put her in the bed (cloth still under her head) the warmth is still there from my arms. If not she wakes as soon as she hits the cot because of the change in temp!

Also have you thought of a dream feed? i.e. unwrap & nudge bubs awake when you’re headed off to bed for the night (and he’s in deep sleep) for a very sleepy feed, then baby easily goes back to sleep and you (hopefully!) get a few hours uninterrupted sleep before the first feed… could be worth a try? It worked for my baby’s 1 & 3 but not for number 2.

Good luck, lack of sleep is SO hard. My second baby was a terrible sleeper and it was all I could do to get through each day without crumbling. But this too shall pass xx

1. Jessica Post author

Krista, the dream feed seems to work well- I did this for him last night. Thanks for the suggestion!!

1. Krista

Oh good! I’m so glad! I always know if I can get 3-4 hours sleep after that feed I can cope with the next day so much better (I say, as I sit here reading your blog at 3.30am after yet another night feed in New Zealand…..) There’s a lot of info/chat about dream feeds in the baby-whisperer books and online forum .
        I’m also a ‘no-cry’ mama but have found some good tools on there. x

15. Pingback: Dare I say it?